The Tri-Town RotaNews - January 31, 2007
Click for Full Article
Click here for a reality check
service club program
for young adults, ages 14-18.
Rotarians O'er the World, You Lead the Way!
Commissioned to commemorate the visit of Donna Jean Wayman, Rotary International District Governor, District 7930, to the Topsfield, Boxford and Middleton Rotary Club, Massachusetts, USA, on September 6, 2006.
President John brought the meeting to order and Joe Carroll provided blessing. Be thankful for all we have in this world full of chaos.
Visiting Rotarians and Guests:
Paul Brigham from Wolfeboro NH but always a TBMer at heart, Carl Melander our current AG and honorary TBM member Gail Hull all joined us today. Welcome all!
There were no make up cards today.
If you missed today's meeting, you have until February 14, 2007 to complete a makeup.
Fines and Happy Dollars:
Happy dollars were collected from Sergeant at Arms Jeff Kruck along with his trustee side kick, Peter "Kato" McAllister, selling extra tickets.
- Brad Swanson was glad to see the duo come and go.
- Bob Murphy was happy too.
- Jan Sinclair had sad dollars today. Gary Sinclair has officially resigned the Club to pursue his academic endeavors. Jan also apologized for a late intro of Gail Hull and lastly Jan had a heck of a time after donating blood.
- Gretchen Marks was happy for Bob Murphy's donation of ski parkas and snow pants at the Community Store.
- Harry Martin was happy to be here and gave a check for 67 dollars to the TBM Foundation. Harry says having birthdays has a completely different meaning to his 4 year old grandson.
- Oscar Padjen says "Go Bears".
- Joe Long was happy to have Julia back from her 6 day adventure across the pond and for having survived donor day.
- Philosopher, Denver Wallace was so happy he told Harry that "life is good as long as there is a leaf still on the tree."
- Paul Brigham was happy to be with us,
- Carl Melander was happy to be here too. Carl truly appreciates TBM and how we've set the bar pretty high for annual giving.
- Bernie Creedon was happy about a Middleton mailing that is going out to gather information from the townsfolk about the need for a new school in town.
- Peter McAllister was happy to announce his travels to sunny California to visit Mom. He plans on playing a couple rounds with Mom and is ever so confident he'll beat her this year.
- Jeff Kruck donated to Spencer.
Joe Carroll and Janet Larson were today's unlucky winners since both missed finding the Queen of Hearts. And then there were 10 and over $400.
Comedy Night is February 8th 2007...get ready to hold your sides!
Please spread the word and sell tickets we have room for 200 plus guests and everyone deserve to laugh!
President John had few announcements.
- Comedy Night February 8, 2007. Rally up and sell tickets. Our coffers depend on the event.
- Jan Sinclair announced that Bill Shannon has applied to the Board and been granted Excused Absences in accordance with Article VIII, Section 2(b) of the Club Constitution (Rule of 85). Derek Scialidone has officially been sent off to the Hamilton Club as he now manages the Hamilton branch of Beverly National. Gary Sinclair has resigned from TBM.
- John Plate announced another thank you for the poinsettias.
- Partners In Development will be holding their annual meeting March 18th. For details call PID at 978.356.5930 or e-mail email@example.com. We received a thank you from PID for our recent commitment of $500 to be used for the Haiti medical clinic.
- Irene Costa sent a thank you for our donation of $250 towards the Keith Costa Memorial Scholarship fund.
- Harry Martin threw down a challenge for all in recognition of Valentines Day. Those who contribute $100 or more during the month will receive a matching number of Foundation Recognition Points.
- Carl Melander announced that TBM will be receiving 3 awards from the District.
- Start thinking about February 8ths Comedy Night. Who do you know that could use a good laugh? $20 is the cost per ticket and appetizers will be served.
- Comedy Night is approaching, February 8, 2007, 7-10 here at Angelica's. Paul Gilligan has come through once again and offered to help us out. Thank you Joanne for arranging the evening. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Call Joe Long 978 360-2793 for tickets. They make great Christmas gifts.
- Comedy Night is February 8th 2007...get ready to hold your sides!
- Please spread the word and sell tickets we have room for 200 guests and everyone deserve to laugh!
Gail Hull told us about the goings on at PID. Not long ago, because of the political unrest and dangerous conditions in Haiti PID relocated efforts to the country of Guatemala. PID remains involved with Haiti with most of the work being carried on by local PID supporters. PID has been in Haiti since 1987. Lack of government support for the programs and the coup of 2 years ago forced the decision to seek out other opportunities.
In Guatemala PID basically mirrored the Haiti program. Small business loans, clean water efforts, healthcare and housing are all in the forefront. The experience however has been very different. Things actually get done without delay. People are very helpful. Still PID needs help. The water supply is very poor in Guatemala as the river is the primary source of water but it also contains high levels of ecoli bacteria. To learn more visit, http://www.pidonline.org.
February 7: - TBA
TBM Calendar 2006-2007:
- Thursday February 8, 2007: - Comedy Night at Angelica's - 7-10 pm.
- Monday June 11, 2007: - Annual Golf Tournament
- Click here to view a window into the RI website, showing the listing of the 100% PHF clubs.